We are thankful to all our customers who have trusted us over the past 100 years. You have made The Bank of Bennington a sound institution and encouraged us to be a strong partner in the communities we serve.
Join us at events throughout the year as we celebrate our centenary!
May 12, 2017 The grand Kick-off Celebration with merriment in branches and a ceremonial time capsule burial
May 27, 2017 The Bank will be at the Bennington Mayfest Craft Festival
June 23 & July 21, 2017 6:00PM – 9:00PM We will be at the Street Fests in Manchester
July 22, 2017 We’ll be celebrating at the Arlington Fireman’s Festival
August 13, 2017 12:00PM Look for our anniversary float in the Bennington Battle Day Parade!
December 2017 We are proud to host the year-end Chamber mixer.
March 26, 1917
The Articles of Association are drawn up. Two months later, on May 14, a board of directors and officers of the board are elected and the bank begins operations.
1917 – 1944
For 27 years, Hiram Hall of the distinguished Bennington family served as president of the bank. He and the directors guided the new institution on investing and borrowing funds to promote the mission of providing mortgage loans.
On October 5, 1917 the bank received the first application for a mortgage loan in the amount of $1800 for the property at 219 Grove Street, Bennington. It took the directors one day to deliberate the wisdom of the loan. It was approved on October 6, 1917.
By the end of 1918, the Bank’s assets were listed as $11,094 with surplus of $10.78.
In a lighter moment, the board of directors gather for this January 1934 photo taken by a Mr. Huntington of North Bennington. Standing from left to right are: Harry Wills, Daniel C. Hurlburt, Fred Martin and John J. Hayes. Seated from left to right are William P. Hogan, Daniel J. Keeler, Hiram Hall (center), William H. Wills and Lee Warner (seated in front of Keeler).
Returning soldiers from WW II wanted a home of their own. Across the country financial institutions responded by offering GI loans at a lower rate than conventional loans. The bank profited by the demand, making new homeowners of many in the community. The first GI loan was made for this property on Scott Street in 1947.
With the celebration of the The Bennington Banner’s 50th anniversary the bank’s directors gathered for a congratulatory photo. Standing left to right Burton Winslow, W. I. Eddington, J. Philip Hall, D.G. Keller, president, Herbert Horst, Tracy Kenyon and A. R. Willard. Seated left to right Ernest Roe, Collins M. Graves, George W. Buck and Arthur Cronin. Missing: W. P. Hogan and J.J. Hayes
The fourth office of the bank opened in 1969 with frontage on North Main Street. With the growing success of the bank, directors believed a more visible location was needed for the convenience of the customers.
Customers and neighbors flocked to the opening of the new bank office at 155 North Street.
Beginning as an iron forge, the Putnam Gristmill building was built in stone to deter fires as a result of working with red-hot iron. At some point, a gristmill was added (giving it its current name). Later, the stone mill was a Chrysler dealership, a garage & taxi service, and a gas station. The bank purchased it after buying the property next door for the new headquarters. Today, it is used for bank administrative offices and wealth management services. This reimagining of the building as it was in 1831 was commissioned by the bank for the cover of its 1985-86 annual report.
U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy writes a congratulatory note in reply to the bank’s invite to the opening of the new headquarters.
After more than 80 years, the bank changed its name from the Bennington Cooperative Savings and Loan Association to The Bank of Bennington. The new name better reflected the services of the bank.
Deposits and withdrawals were recorded in a customer’s account passbook. Used for decades, passbooks were phased out completely in April 2010.
Mobile banking was introduced in 2016 and an app was created for it. A series of ads and mailings showed bank customers how easy it was to use mobile banking.
A Commitment to Giving Back to the Communities It Serves
The bank has a strong history of supporting community activities throughout the region, especially those that bring community together, like free concerts, and sponsorships that benefit children, such as Little League and the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program.