Why Choose The Bank of Bennington
Culture & Philosophy
Our Mission: Helping Build Better Communities
The Bank of Bennington is proud to be a full-service mutual community bank headquartered in Bennington with branches in Manchester, Bennington, Arlington and Rutland Vermont. We are known for our customer service, financial strength, and community involvement. Our success has always been rooted in our communities. Working together with residents and businesses on a local level, we are privileged to help so many achieve their goals of home ownership, saving for college or retirement, or owning their own business.
You Get the Best of All Worlds
Mutual Banking, Vermont-Based, Local Decisions
- We Are a Mutual Bank. We cannot be bought and we do not have shareholders to answer to, only customers.
- Local Banks Grow The Local Economy. We firmly believe that keeping money local is the surest way to a brighter, more secure future. We invest in local businesses and individuals with loans. We are passionate about helping the businesses in our communities thrive, and staying committed to investing in small businesses in the community.
- Decisions Are Made Right Here. Our world headquarters are right here in Bennington County so there is no waiting for answers from across the region or country.
We Have What You Need In A Bank.
- Savings, Checking, Home Equity Loans, Mortgages, IRAs, CDs, Holiday Clubs, Free Telephone Banking—the list is practically endless!
- Trained IRA Professionals with experience and knowledgeable about Roth and Traditional IRAs, as well as other retirement funding accounts.
- Checking Plus & NOW Checking Accounts with no monthly maintenance fee when you maintain a minimum balance.
- Free Online Banking and Bill Payment with industry leading software for highly secure access.
- Kids’ Savers Accounts earn a special rate. We want to help young people learn how to take care of their money, so we provide special incentives for them.
- Loan Officers who know the area. Whether you’re buying a home or a business, it helps to work with someone who knows the territory. Our lenders have the local knowledge needed, backed by years of experience. They will help you through the borrowing process.
- We’re an SBA Preferred Lender. This is the highest distinction a bank can receive from the SBA. As a preferred lender, we can approve loan applications internally–which means the process moves more quickly.
More Convenient Than Most
You won’t find an easier bank to get to. With 5 nearby locations and generous hours, we’re simply at your service. Our branches have easy-in, easy-out access, and all have drive-up windows and ATMs. There are additional ATMs in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Dorset and Winhall. And of course, we are always available online.
We Support Area Non-profits By Donating Staff Time & Money.
We believe that the non-profits in our area enrich all of us every day, so we donate dollars and staff hours to a number of community organizations.
Our Staff Is Committed.
We employ over 60 people, a significant number for our area. And our turnover is low with an average employee tenure of nearly 10 years. We like our jobs!
We Are One of The Best Of Bauer
The 5-Star rating is the highest level of strength and performance a bank can receive from Bauer and we’ve earned this rating for more than 30 years! Learn more at bauerfinancial.com.
May 14, 1917—The Bennington Cooperative Savings & Loan is founded with the mission to raise $10,000 to solve the problem of insufficient housing for workers in the town. The Bank operates out of a corner office on Main Street with a board comprised of local notables including William H. Wills, George M. Hawks, Hiram Hall, Edward A. Booth, and William P. Hogan
October 5, 1917—The first mortgage is issued to Clarence D. Wilson for the purchase of a Grove Street residence.
1979—Under the leadership of President Wes Mook, the bank builds a new facility and moves to North Street.
1983—The first branch office opens in Manchester.
1999—Community Financial Mutual Holding Company is formed to serve as the parent organization for The Bank of Bennington.
2017—The Bank of Bennington celebrates 100 years of banking and serving the community.
Today—Under the leadership of President & CEO James D. Brown, the Bank’s total assets have grown to exceed $500 million and include offices in Bennington, Arlington, Manchester and Rutland.